Love Your Lenses 2022
A public campaign to raise awareness of safe contact lens wear, safe contact lens purchase and the health benefits of contact lenses.
Go to https://www.loveyourlensesweek.com/
The Central Fund supported this campaign with the aim to improve compliance of contact lens use and how contact lenses can be used to benefit eye health and improve wellbeing.
The objectives are
Get as many practices as possible in the UK to participate in the campaign
Encourage eye care professionals to discuss contact lenses with patients
Draw the public’s attention to safe contact lens wear by highlighting:
- The dangers and risks of purchasing contact lenses from unregistered, illegal online suppliers
- The risks and conditions that can affect eye health with improper contact lens use
- The importance of hand hygiene when applying and removing contact lenses
- The benefits to wellbeing where contact lenses enable someone to undertake an activity they wouldn’t be able to with spectacles
- The dangers of water if it comes into contact with contact lenses and/or contact lens cases
- Myopia management and how contact lenses can be used to support myopia management
Inform the public about:
- The importance of seeking advice and care from a registered eye care professional
- The importance of getting zero powered/cosmetic lenses fitted by an eye care professional
- The reporting system for illegal suppliers of contact lenses via the General Optical Council
Encourage the public to get their eyes tested and their contact lens specification updated
Support the public to find a suitably qualified and registered eye care professional and/or practice
The Campaign was considered a great success, please click here to read the full report.